After excessive weight loss, or in some cases pregnancy, skin does not always return to its former size, which is why some individuals opt for skin removal surgery.
Cosmetic and skin removal surgery, is available in the form of multiple procedures. However, the most popular tend to be a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), partial abdominoplasty (mini tummy tuck) and laser assisted lipoplasty (liposuction).
- Abdominoplasty, or a tummy tuck as it is often known, involves the removal of excess skin and fat from the lower and mid abdomen. This form of skin removal surgery, involves tightening the muscle, which is found in the abdominal wall. An individual who opts for this form of surgery can expect the procedure to take up to five hours. Recovery from the procedure and take up to 4 weeks, however, a full recovery can take up to 6 months.
- A Partial abdominoplasty, otherwise known as a mini tummy tuck, involves a smaller incision being made and a limited amount of the muscle wall is tightened.
- A mini tuck can take between one to two hours to perform. Again, full recovery can take up to 6 months.
- There are some risks related to these procedures, however, if a patient heeds the advice which is given by the consultant prior to surgery, the risks will be minimized. A consultant will also ensure that the patient undergoes a number of health checks, prior to any operation.
Laser Assisted Lipoplasty
- Laser assisted Lipoplasty, otherwise known as liposuction, involves removing fat and increasing tightness of the skin in that area. This type of skin removal surgery can be performed in several places on the body including, thighs, abdomen, buttocks, back of the arms and even the neck. Only a certain amount of fat may be removed during one session, therefore, how much is removed is decided beforehand by both the consultant and the patient.
- During the procedure, fat is removed by using a tube and an aspirator (suction device). A laser is also utilized as it is known to encourage the tightening of the skin, in that area. Recovery can be anywhere between two days and two weeks.